Meet our POWER team!
Elaine Hamel, Founder & Program Leader
“I believe teaching girls and women how to use power tools to build provides an experience that shatters the lens of powerlessness that so many struggle with. Our girls and women need extreme measures to silence the voices of self doubt that consume them at every turn. I believe building does just that and also enables them to discover that the most powerful tool in their arsenal is their voice.”
- Over 25 years experience as a general contractor specializing in residential renovations.
- Has led 6 service trips to rebuild New Orleans homes in the wake of Hurricane Katrina
- Has empowered over 15,000 girls through building since founding Girls at Work in 2000
Beth Dever, Executive Director
“Girls at Work is about encouraging and allowing every girl to learn how to rise above adversity, push beyond obstacles, and find their voice. The young and impressionable girls that walk through the door of GAW learn how to say ‘can’ not ‘can’t’ and ‘will’ not ‘maybe’. Each project they complete, the more empowered they become!”
- 10 years experience in nonprofit management
- 20 years experience in board development and strategic planning
- 30 years experience in coordinating and leading youth programs
- BS in Parks & Recreation, University of New Hampshire
- Former Executive Director, Tapply-Thompson Community Center
- Senior Program Associate, The Council of Chief State School Officers
Kathryn Conway, Program Coordinator
“As the beneficiary of rights earned on my behalf from generations of brave, strong, and empowered women, including my mother and grandmothers, the importance of the work done here at the shop is not lost on me. When I see these little girls building, I am reminded that these are future leaders being equipped to shape a better world with even greater opportunity for my granddaughters and their daughters.”
- Former small business owner
- Over 20 years of event planning and production expertise
- Equestrian and passionate fan of horses
Board of DirectorsAnna Caron was born in Manchester, NH. Upon her return from Colby College she served two years with AmeriCorps: one with City Year NH and one as an AmeriCorps*VISTA. She earned her M.Ed. at UNH Manchester and is now an elementary teacher in Salem, NH. Anna is passionate about STEM education, especially as a pathway for girls to realize their potential.
Elizabeth Salas Evans, President & Chief Compliance Officer of Cayena Capital Management, LLC, an independent registered investment adviser, with a family office located in Weare, NH. A New Hampshire Native with 14 years of financial services experience, Liz received a B.S. degree in Business Finance from Southern New Hampshire University where she is currently completing her Masters in Applied Economics. She also serves on the executive board for NH PBS.